9. Increase the market uptake of safer new and used vehicles and emerging vehicle technologies with high safety benefits
States and territories
Austroads, NHVR, NTC
The Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) and Used Car Safety Ratings (UCSR) and related safety research demonstrate the benefits of consumers choosing safer vehicles. A large proportion of new vehicle purchases are made for private and government fleets, being turned over to the general fleet after 2–3 years. Ensuring that fleet operators purchase the safest vehicles is one of the quickest ways to improve the safety of the Australian fleet overall.
Outcomes by 2020
Increased market uptake of safer vehicles and technologies.
- Government fleet purchasing policies to require ANCAP 5-star rated light passenger and light commercial vehicles, as well as driver assistance technologies including AEB, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning and Adaptive Cruise Control; and other beneficial technologies, where available.
- Support and promote ANCAP and the UCSR at point of purchase—with a particular focus on young drivers, older drivers and remote and regional drivers.
- Influence organisations to purchase 5-star safety rated vehicles, with the most recent date stamp available, through fleet purchasing policies, ongoing collaboration with Workplace Health and Safety agencies, industry and the National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP).
- Work with industry partners to educate drivers on safer vehicle technology and how to use it.
- Ensure safety across all Safe System areas is properly considered in the Transport and Infrastructure Council's ongoing work program to prepare for connected and automated vehicles.
- Influence industry to apply, and if possible accelerate, new safety technologies, for example AEB, fatigue detection, distraction mitigation, vehicle control and aftermarket vehicle warning technologies.
- Explore opportunities to create greater demand for vehicle safety technologies including inexpensive after-market features, particularly for young drivers.